Frequently Asked Questions

How do I qualify for a Homestead Exemption?

You may qualify if you are...

  • Age 65 on or before December 31, preceding the tax year in which you wish to claim the exemption
  • Totally or permanently disabled
  • Legally blind; or
  • At least 50 years of age when your spouse who was eligible for the Homestead Exemption died; and a legal resident of South Carolina for at least one year on or before December 31, preceding the year for which the exemption is claimed
  • Hold fee simple title or partial title to your house or mobile home or certain life estates or other proper title as of December 31, preceding the year for which the exemption is is claimed.

How do I apply for the Homestead Exemption?

Application may be made at any time of the year, but should be made prior to or on July 15, at the Auditor's Office. When you apply for the Homestead Exemption, you must take proof of your eligibility. If you are applying  due to age, take your birth certificate, Medicaid card, Medicare card, family Bible with entries of birth or baptismal records to prove your age. If you are applying because of disability or blindness, take certification from the State or Federal agency that had authority to make the declaration.

Vehicle Registration:

The following information is needed:

Bradley O. Valentine



Office: (864) 429-1618

Fax: (864) 429-1608

Office is located at:

210 West Main Street

Union, SC 29379

The Auditor's office determines the property tax based on the needs of the county by setting the millage rates for the county. The office also handles homestead exemptions, property tax on personal property, and property tax for businesses.

You may access the SC Association of Auditors, Treasurers and Tax Collectors  website for more information regarding the responsibilities of the Auditor.