In 1769, South Carolina was divided into four major districts, Orangeburg, Cheraw, Camden, and Ninety-Six. In 1783, the state government divided the four districts into smaller counties. The Ninety-Six district was divided in 1785 to become Spartanburg, Newbury, Laurens, Edgefield and Union. During 1785, a new county court act was passed by the state government, allowing county courts to have jurisdiction in common law cases that did not incorporate corporal punishment. Thus, in March of 1785, at the home of Alexander McDougal, the first court session was held in Union County. During that session, William Farr, was appointed as the first Sheriff of Union County and several local men were appointed as justices of the peace. There began the Union County Sheriff's Office.
Charles, Allen D. The Narrative History of Union County, South Carolina. Spartanburg: The Reprint Company, Publishers, 1987.